Glasgow restart consumer campaign - Glasgow is Open
New consumer campaign #GlasgowIsOpen was launched to coincide with the official reopening of Scotland’s tourism industry.
The first wave is aimed at day visitors to Glasgow and initially focuses on a younger demographic as well as the family market.
The campaign will later expand to wider audiences across west central Scotland, moving to short break and staycation inspiration and will be guided by government policy, industry reopening status and consumer behaviour.
#GlasgowIsOpen activity features:
- A hero film – reinforcing pride and ownership of the city and reassuring audiences that the city is open, ready, and safe.
- Creation of digital articles and features on People Make Glasgow channels – highlighting practical/know before you go information, Support Local, Inspire Locals and Inspire Scots.
- Radio promotions across west-central Scotland.
- Targeted digital activity.
- PR with local and Scottish regional titles.
How to get involved with the campaign:
- Let us know your reopening plans (you're ready for business) by completing the short 2-minute Business Reopening Register.
- Apply for you Good to Go accreditation.
- Update your VisitScotland.com web-listing with your ‘We’re Good to Go’ accreditation. All you need to know about a web listing.
- Download images of Glasgow from our library to use in your own activity (password: Destination2020)
- Follow People Make Glasgow social channels and share content.
- Tweet! Use the campaign hashtag and spread the word.
- Share your images of reopening with us on Twitter @GlasgowTourism.
New content on People Make Glasgow channels
The following features, plus updated versions of our Experience Glasgow Virtually and Glasgow's Amazing Food & Drink Scene, will be included in our July edition of the PMG consumer newsletter which will be distributed to our 15k subscribers.
Glasgow's Amazing Shopping Scene (published Thursday, July 2) and How to be a Tourist at Home in Glasgow (published Tuesday, July 7) were promoted on People Make Glasgow social media channels along with partner outreach, with significantly positive feedback from partners. Each guide focuses on a different aspect of the visitor offering and both encourage our audiences to be a tourist in their own city, support local and enjoy what's right on their doorstep.
Consumer content plan
Throughout lockdown the Glasgow Life Destination Marketing team have been creating and sharing content about Glasgow on our People Make Glasgow social media channels with two key objectives:
- To keep the destination front of mind for future visitors
- To support businesses to generate income, promote new initiatives or keep profile high
As restrictions ease, and the city gradually begins to open up, we are evolving our consumer content plan in line with these changes.
Take a look at our current plan outlining the content we are promoting now as well as a number of digital features we have in development to reflect the gradual re-opening.
This plan is being reviewed on an ongoing basis and may change in light of government decision making and industry input.
If you would like to share ideas or contributions for these features, please get in touch with the Destination Marketing team via [email protected]
Visitscotland marketing response
The marketing teams at VisitScotland continue to play a key role in keeping Scotland top of mind with potential visitors of the future, and supporting intermediary partners in destination training and planning new tours to Scotland. For more information on VisitScotland activity:
- Marketing: Response to Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Our marketing activity - Respond, Reset and Restart
- Domestic recovery
- International recovery
- Your digital to-do
- VisitScotland's Visitor Charter
- VisitScotland Little Adventures marketing activity