In many international markets the travel trade play a key role in providing holidaymakers with the information they need to choose a destination and plan their trip with online travel businesses also taking an increasingly large share of the market.
Glasgow Tourism and Visitor Plan partners have developed a city-wide travel trade strategy which focuses primarily on three key international markets; USA, Canada and Germany as well as the UK market.
The strategy features a comprehensive programme of activity including:
- Developing meaningful relationships with key destination management companies, wholesalers, niche tour operators, online travel agents and traditional travel agents, with a view to increasing the Glasgow product offering within existing Scotland and Glasgow itineraries.
- Working with Glasgow industry partners to create trade-friendly products.
- Supporting Glasgow tourism businesses to help them build their own travel trade strategy.
- Showcasing Glasgow and its products through participation in events and trade shows, business development missions, sales calls and destination marketing campaigns.
- Hosting familiarisation trips for travel trade intermediaries
- Participating in agent training to increase their knowledge of Glasgow and their ability to sell it to their customers.